Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The apiary

At the end of September we went on a Field Trip to the Apiary aka Bee Farm We were there during harvest which is only about 10 days long, They were so kind to have us, the kids learned so much and were so excited to be there. They did not love the smell though. We had two pregnant friends with us and boy howdy they did not love the smell either I felt for them. Who knew bees would stink. Anyways they walked us through the whole process at the end they even had little honey bears to give to each of the kiddos. The kids were so excited with it, they were willing to come home and try out the honey, which neither of my kiddos' like normally and most often refuse to even entertain the thought of trying, We went home and had peanut butter and honey sandwiches for snacks to which the kids ate all of it, then we did honey tasting and some graphing and distinguishing between sweet and sour, as well as smooth and chunky. Hands down the kids preferred the fresh honey from the farm to the store bought honey, The did like it flavored too. They did not like the chunky peanut butter. I learned something new to, The gentleman giving the tour informed us that most of his local business if from people that use the honey for allergies specific to the area, I had no idea honey could be used for local allergies. Super interesting 

The use almost everything, there is very little waste from a hive. Below James is checking out Bees wax
The Warm room where the honey sits waiting to be processed
Bees what an interesting Field trip!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun field trip! I think I need to get some local honey. We have some seriou allergies in our house.

    ReplyDelete